Oh how I miss the days of going to Starbucks for a mocha and a toasted Chonga bagel with cream cheese. The chonga bagel is their version of an Everything Bagel, with the addition of cheddar cheese. Sinfully delicious. There are not a lot of things I miss from my old lifestyle, but those morning trips to Starbucks are one of them.
These days I’m making my bulletproof coffee and low carb bagels at home. Or if I am on the go, I grab a low carb, keto friendly Starbucks drink and just skip the bagel altogether.
I’m sure by now you are no stranger to the infamous fathead cheese dough. It is so incredibly versatile and can be made either savory or sweet. I have used it to make low carb empanadas, keto chicken pot pie, low carb pizza roll ups and more. With each new recipe, I tweak it just a bit, playing with the almond flour to mozzarella ratio and occasionally adding in coconut flour like in these Keto Hot Ham and Cheese Roll-Ups. The end result is always the same. Delicious!
Gluten free keto friendly fathead bagels were a no brainer since I already have Low Carb Everything Bagel Dogs on my site. After playing around with a few different variations, I settled on a combination between my Bagel Dogs and my fathead pizza crust to make just the right texture for these.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 3 cups shredded low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 5 tablespoons cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried Italian seasoning. Mix until well combined. I like to put the mixture through a flour sifter to ensure that all the baking powder gets mixed in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Crack one of the eggs into a small bowl and fork whisk. This will be the egg wash for the top of the bagels. The other two eggs will go in the dough.
- In a large microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir to combine. Return to microwave for 1 additional minute. Mix until well combined.
- To the mixing bowl, add the remaining 2 eggs and the almond flour mixture. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated. If the dough gets too stringy and unworkable, simply put it back in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften and continue mixing.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
- Gently press your finger into the center of each dough ball to form a ring. Stretch the ring to make a small hole in the center and form it into a bagel shape.
- Brush the top of each bagel with the egg wash.
- Top each bagel with Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Bake on the middle rack for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
Per Serving – Calories: 449 | Fat: 35.5g | Protein: 27.8g | Total Carbs: 10g | Fiber: 4g | Net Carbs: 6g